Saturday, October 2, 2010

October 2, 2010

So,  turns out Kaylie's carsickness wasn't altogether carsickness.  She ended up having the flu and we just happened to be driving constantly (looking for a place to live).  She is our carsick child, so we just assumed that was it. She didn't have a fever or anything and would feel better after she threw up, which is how she is when she's carsick.  But, Monday I started feeling achy as we were driving home.  By that evening the flu had hit full on.  Not fun to be in a different home, bed, country having a fever, chills (so terribly that I had my clothes, Ricks thermals, Ricks sweats, Ricks socks, Kaylies blanket, 1 sheet, 2 comforters, and Rick laying on top of me), stomach cramps, and lots of disgusting things going on with your body.  Hopefully we are over it and it won't come back.  Rick had started feeling achy that day also, but for some reason he was able to fight it off before it hit.  Devan's been the healthy one so far.  I guess all those "green shakes" at home in Utah paid off.  (Jared - if you're reading this - keep drinking those nasty shakes that Rick made you).  Tanner's been sickly to.  But, not the flu.  He's had a pretty bad cough, sneezing (not fun when you're being sprayed - sneezed on - in the car constantly), sore throat, and headache.  It would be a whole lot easier to take care of us if we could read medication labels.  I'm now realizing more things I should have brought from home.  Hopefully we're all on the mend and won't be needing a pharmacy much longer.

Another exciting thing that happened this week...

Rick has been putting off getting cell phones (he's really enjoyed the lack of communication with the outside world), so when he's gone into town for something we're left in a little bit of insecurity.  So, on Wednesday he went in to town to take care of banking problems, go to an internet cafe to get faster service and look up places to live, and take care of some other junk.  He's usually gone for several hours when he does this.  I was in bed sick and all of a sudden I hear Kaylie fall down the ladder/stairs that lead to the loft.  I jump out of bed, Devan comes flying down the ladder with Tanner, Kaylie's at the bottom with her leg wrapped around the last ballister and handrail, screaming.  She had fallen from top step, which is about 8 feet up, hit her elbow and her tail bone really hard, twisted around a couple of times hitting most every other part of her body, and tried to catch herself before she nailed the tile floor and the wall in front of her.  Devan and I unwrapped her leg from the handrail and carried her to a chair.  I think she went into shock because she turned white as a ghost, was shaking and sweating, and was cold.  So, being the Young Women certified medic that I am (haha), we covered her with a blanket.  It was pretty bad, though.  I thought she had broken her elbow and forearm, for sure.  But, no bones were sticking through the skin, so we waited, and waited, and waited for Rick to return home.  We did manage to move her from the chair, to my bed, so we could be miserable together.  To make this long story even longer...  Rick ended up taking her to the "hospital" which actually was the government "clinic" where the "doctor" squeezed & straightened her arm (not fun when you think it's broken) and recommended that she get it x-rayed at the "actual" hospital.  Boy, that was helpful.  Good thing that only cost 3 Euros (which is about 5 bucks).  Whoo hoo for government run medical programs (spoken sarcastically).  Rick and Kaylie opted to wait till the next day to see if it would improve because driving a 20 minute drive to the hospital could turn in to an hour or two because the roads (and our GPS) are absolutely rediculous.  Well, it's now been a few days and she's finally using her hand and arm, so I guess it's not broken. The hospital visit never happened (I think Kaylie was probably a little fearful to go there).  Anyways - all is well in the end!!

Last thing for this update...

We moved out of our cute home in the country.  Kinda sad.  We really did like it there.  Although the church bell that chimed every hour, on the hour and the half hour, was a little much to handle when you're sick with the flu. The lady at the market across the street, Carla,  had become our friend and gave us figs from her tree when we left.  The lady at the bread store, where we bought fresh bread every morning, gave us free stuff several times (I think she loved Tanner's red hair).  Rick will miss the bread store the most, I'm sure.  Tanner loved the frog hunting in the stream behind the house.  Devan and Tanner will miss the neighborhood dogs - Kaylie named them Peaches and Diego.  Kaylie will miss the quaint little kitchen where we sat as a family and stuffed ourselves full of "Pao" (our favorite type of bread).  I will miss the small town atmosphere.  We are now further south, on the coast, in a complex called Mira Villas.  We will be staying here for the next month in a condo, while we continue the search.  We are about 1/2 a mile from the beach.  I think we'll end up somewhere close to here.  I really enjoy the mountains of Portugal and Duoro River, but I think the straighter/flat roads and the warmer climate are going to win out over the picturesque scenery.  That's okay, though - no kids throwing up in the car will make the experience a much nicer one.

Well, once again this is really long - SORRY!!  I'll try to be better.

Love ya & miss ya (and my king size bed)
Denise

4 comments:

  1. I miss you!! Sounds like you are having quite the adventure! Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you!! Sounds like you are having quite the adventure! Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read all your posts. Thoroughly entertaining! Wish I'd seen them sooner, everybody asks me how you are and I haven't heard much. We're heading to your house tomorrow-I should actually be in bed now, but I had to read everything you wrote. Glad you are all okay and I really will miss you this weekend at the wedding. Tell everyone hi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found your blog after you had posted a link on my dad's facebook. How fun for you and your family! I look forward to living vicariously through you guys. Have fun. Keep up the posts!
    Love, Melanie Phillips (Spongberg)

    ReplyDelete