Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gas Station

So, funny incident at the gas station.  No, we didn’t put the wrong kind of gas in our car.  But, it was my turn to fill it – for the first time.  Rick wasn’t with me.  Kaylie and I were shopping.  We were at the same gas station we always go to.  I looked at the pump, figured out the right kind of gas (diesel) and tried to pump it.  But, it wouldn’t work.  I figured I must be doing something wrong, so I called Rick.  He said it sounded like I was doing everything right.  But, the lady inside the “glass box” might have to reset the pump.  Oh, I forgot to tell you.  At this gas station you pump first, then you drive up to the “glass box” and pay the lady, then she raises the “arm” to let you out.  So, I guess sometimes she has to reset the pump from the cash register.  So, I stay on the phone with Rick while I try to get her attention.  She looks at me a couple of times, but nothing happens.  I kinda raise my arms like “hey, my pumps not working”.  And she just looks away.  Finally, I hang up the phone with Rick to free up my hands – and all of a sudden my pump starts.  I look back at the lady in the “glass box” and she’s talking (and laughing) with the lady who’s paying, and then she points at a little sign in her window that’s a picture of a cell phone with a slash through it.  The sign was in the bottom corner of the window and was about 4 by 6 inches big.  What a joke.  She wouldn’t turn on my pump because I was on the phone trying to figure out why my pump wouldn’t work in the first place.  Then, I go up to pay and she doesn’t speak any English so I couldn’t ask her about the “no cell phone” policy – although she said something that I assumed meant it was against the law to be on a cell phone.  Here’s the funniest part – so, the next time Rick and I get gas at that gas station I tell him to ask her about it.  She said it’s a law in Portugal – you cannot be on your cell phone in any gas station.  He said “Why?”  She said “because they can blow up”.  Now, we’re still not sure if she meant that the cell phone can blow up or the whole gas station can blow up.  But, tell me – have you ever heard of anything blowing up because of a cell phone?  Funny.  20 years behind…

2 comments:

  1. Actually I've heard that your cell phone can cause a fire at a gas station, I'm not sure about blowing up but I think it has something to do with the static it creates or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Denise-
    Merry Christmas! I missed dropping by your house during the holidays. It is snowing like crazy!!! Sounds like all is going well with you and the fam.
    Keep up the posts. Very informative.
    Love ya, Marisa

    ReplyDelete