Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 2, 2010 (about Oct 26, 2010)

Ricks birthday was on Tuesday (the 26th).  And I basically want everyone to know I love him.  In some ways he is very “high maintenance” guy, but in other ways he very “low maintenance”.  Luckily for me, when it comes to his birthday, he is very low maintenance.  He never expects much so I don’t usually feel much pressure when it comes to his birthday (except for the pressure I put on myself).  But, because I’ve been a little out of sorts since we got here, I thought making him a semi-traditional birthday would be nice.  Boy – that was a mistake.  First of all – his present.  Well, he’s really been missing his “green shakes” (YUCK).  So, Kaylie and I thought the perfect gift would be a blender.  So, while Rick was looking at electronic stuff Kaylie and I headed to the blender section.  Try buying a blender, strong enough to chop up veggies, when you can’t read the box.  So, Rick picked out his own blender.  Then, try making pancakes or waffles for breakfast when Portuguese people don’t know what maple syrup is (or maple flavoring to make syrup). But, he was happy with oatmeal.  And his traditional chocolate cheesecake.  Can I just say YUCK (again)?  After spending several hours looking for ingredients (or anything close to what the recipe called for) and spending a ton of money - the cake was horrible.  Oh well, I guess it’s the thought that counts.  His only request for his birthday was that we all go swimming together at the community pool – at least we managed that – sort of.  I did want to let you all know that he really appreciated the phone calls from home and all the e-mails and birthday e-cards he got.  They were the highlight of his day (since the food obviously was not).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment